Sunday, August 22, 2010

What About Love?

The question I've started asking myself, which I now ask you is: What About Love?

There's a song on my new CD ("Fishnet Stockings") with that title, a song about a male/female relationship, but the question has become much larger than that for me. The question leads us to the answer for most everything wrong with the world as we know it.

Our country is still at war. Where's the love in that?

Our political system is in a state of upheaval: democrats and republicans alike rant and rave at and about each other. Proposals that republicans made in the past are now being radically attacked by them, now that they have been proposed by democrats, and vice versa. Where's the love in that?

A year ago, I was discharged from the hospital and told "there's nothing we can do for you, you have four to six months to live, so go figure out how you want to spend it." In reality, I was sent home to die because I didn't have insurance. Where's the love in that?

I recently received an e-mail from someone I considered to be a friend and whom I'd looked up to as a mentor. The writer has called himself a christian for many years, and the e-mail was an attempt to make me feel guilty about a quote that my publicist had put into a press release. Coming from someone who claims to be a follower of Jesus, it was hard to accept, because it wasn't written in a loving manner, and the comment in question was a trivial matter. Jesus is the one who said "faith, hope and love remain, but the greatest of these is love." After reading the e-mail, I immediately wondered, where's the love in this message?

So, to return to the question: What about love?

As someone that has the opportunity to interact with lots of different people on a regular basis, I for one am dedicating myself to showing people love, hopefully in all that I say and do. Life is way too short to do anything else. The old saying that "you have to give love away before you get it back" is still true.

Call me naive, but that's what I believe.

How radical would it be if you and I joined together, recruiting friends along the way, and began first to ask ourselves, and eventually the world, WHAT ABOUT LOVE?!

No comments:

Post a Comment