Friday, August 27, 2010

In search of the muse . . .

How many times have you sat down to write, and nothing seems to come out? For me, that never happens. There's always something to be said, it's just finding the right way to say it. Perhaps it doesn't come out right, but it's not for lack of something to say.

It's about finding the right vehicle to carry my thoughts. Sometimes it's a lyric, sometimes a title, sometimes a situation (real or imagined) that I want to describe.

So, where then is the vehicle? For me, the vehicle inevitably emerges from my guitar. After identifying the subject, I then need to set the mood. It's rare that it all comes together in one session, but the elements generally take shape. I often experiment with an upbeat feel with a downbeat lyric, and vice versa.

If words aren't coming, I simply start fiddling on the guitar, experimenting with chords and rhythms. I may never get to the lyrics that day, but I try to hear what the guitar is trying to say.


After laying the elements out, I frequently have to just start pounding it out, over and over, getting to know this new friend. There's some element of freedom as I explore, letting the words and the music take me places I've never been. Sometimes, when I let them go where they may, they surprise me and we end up somewhere different than I had planned.

Eventually, I put the song away in a place inside my head. I've written the lyrics down, I've got the basic chord structure, I've got the basic rhythm and feel. Now, it's time to walk away for a little while, usually overnight at least.

When I wake up and pick up where I left off, I again let the lyrics and music carry me down the path they've woven in my psyche. Often, the music changes a bit. Sometimes, the first stanza becomes the second. Sometimes, the punchline at the end needs tweaking. That all seems to come clear in the light of day.

The subject of this post is "In search of the muse . . ."  Basic english tells us that every sentence needs a verb, and in this proposition, "search" is that verb. A verb is an action word. I find that when I want to write, it's all about the action of very purposely sitting down with my pencil and paper, my guitar and pick and simply starting. Yes, there's something to be said for a regularly scheduled time and place for writing, and the discipline involved in honing my craft is important.

But at the bottom of it all, especially in this world where our schedules dictate to us rather than the other way around, it's all about finding a quiet environment and setting the wheels in motion.

Go now. Search.

No comments:

Post a Comment