Monday, August 30, 2010

Did you say "Superstar"??!!

Have you seen this week's latest "superstar"? Or last week's? Or the week's before that?

Me either.

But, all you have to do is take a look at your local Craigslist entries under the musician category, and you're sure to be introduced to them. Introduced to them, by them. Sometimes even before they've written a song, let alone played an instrument or produced a CD. If they have spent the time, effort, and money to actually produce something worth listening to, before they've sold even 20 copies of it they proclaim themselves the latest and greatest thing since sliced bread.

Who do they think they're fooling? Sure, artists of all sorts need to have self-confidence and a belief in themselves, but this has all gone too far. When the only person that calls them a superstar is their manager, or themselves, they're obviously not one.

Personally, even when I see an artist break through and achieve success for the first time, they are still a long way from being a superstar. When I say break through and achieve success, I mean to reach gold record status (defined as selling 500,000 copies) at least. I'll say it again, even at that level they're still a long way from being a superstar. Show me an artist that has three or four platinum (defined as selling 1,000,000 copies) records over a period of years, and now I'll start to consider them worthy of the "superstar" label.

The "superstar" phenomena started with the advent of digital recording equipment. It's amazing technology, and as prices of both equipment and high performance recording software have steadily dropped, it's now affordable for almost anyone to produce a CD. With the widespread availability of that technology, it seems that because they CAN, everyone DOES produce a CD. Because they've produced a CD, they consider themselves the afore-mentioned "best thing since sliced bread."

So, the world is now awash with "artists" and their attendant "art."

Most of these people have no musical knowledge, experience, training, skill, or ability. I understand that we all have our own ideas of what's good and what's bad, what's art, what's freedom of expression, etc, but some of us are taking ourselves way too seriously. Browse any on-line source of independent music, and you'll find plenty of examples of poor musicianship, poor production, and a poor choice of investment dollars, mainly because it IS cheap to produce.

You see, the hardware and software are affordable, but they are no substitute for knowledge, well-honed skills (both musical and operational), and the skillful application of that knowledge and skill. Even a highly talented, skilled, gifted and well-practiced artist has a very slim chance of ever becoming a "superstar."

I hear so many young artists say that they love music and that they want to spend the rest of their lives performing, entertaining, and inspiring their audience. I hear them pledge their lives to that pursuit. And yet so many of them overlook the hard work that's required. They brag about their "ability" and "talent" and include in their boasts that they have three or four songs written, and just need the right band, or the right manager, or the right agent, or the right someone to give them the money to promote them, and they'll BE the next "superstar." They often can't even differentiate between a promoter, a manager, an agent, or an investor, let alone the role that those people play in an artist's career.

Personally, I have made my living playing music for over 30 years. I have studied music, the music business, promotions, and so much more. I have some CD's I've produced. I have songs I've written. I've rubbed elbows with, opened for, and played with many acts, some of them approaching "superstar" status. I have toured Europe and the US. I've led bands, conducted choirs and horn sections and string sections. I've produced and promoted shows, and more . . . (go to http://www.brotherdanpalmer.com/ for pics and other info about me) . . .

Am I a "superstar"? Not even close. I could make a lot of excuses for not meeting with great critical acclaim. But no excuses are necessary.

I've had good years and bad years. I've had good shows and bad shows. I've produced some good music, and some not so good. But, the good FAR outweighs the bad. Life is good, and music makes my world go 'round.

So, believe me when I say, I WILL be playing music for the rest of my life. I WILL continue to work, learn, and sharpen my skills. I WILL continue to perform, entertain, and inspire my audience.

Music is in my veins, my heart, my soul. How about you? Do you think you're ready to commit your life to your art? (Not to be confused with being committed, LOL!)

This is not something you do because you really want to. It's not for the faint of heart. Only do it if it is what you have to do. For a few of us, it's what we must do.

It that describes you, I wish you all of the best that life has to offer. For me, music IS the best that life has to offer, regardless of the ups and downs, and the joys and sorrows. This road is narrow and long. The further along the road you travel, the fewer travelers you meet. If you have the heart and the endurance it takes, I'll see you out there, because that's where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment