I recently received the following note on my FaceBook page:
"Dear Dan:
I heard your concert was amazing and that you feel a lot better now. I’m really happy for you. And I also heard that you recorded a new album… Congratulations! How long did it take you? My band and I have been trying to record something for ages, but we just can’t seem to get things right when we start recording. Basically, I usually catch a cold and my voice sounds all weird. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something."
************
I thought this note warranted a response, and have copied my response below. I'd love to hear what you think . . .
Dear ____:
Yes, the concert was great, and it really feels good to be playing again.
The new album turned out good. The arrangements are simple and straightforward acoustic arrangements, and I'm pretty happy how they turned out. Because I get tired easily, I did the project in a series of sessions. The studio is about 2 1/2 hours from where I live, so I would usually go up the day before the session and get a good night's rest, then spend 5 to 8 hours in the studio followed by a couple of more hours mixing and fixing little things the following day, before returning home. I got all of the instruments and vocals done in about four sessions like that, and then mixing and mastering took another session. It was complete in a couple of months.
As for recording with your own band, there are a lot of things we could talk about. To start, I would recommend simply recording yourselves on a regular basis, then listening to it the next day. It doesn't have to be in a studio or done with any sophisticated equipment. Just start recording your rehearsals and get used to hearing yourselves. You'll find things you like musically, things you don't like, plus you'll get used to knowing that you're being recorded.
When it comes times to go into a studio, there are different ways to do it. You can all play at the same time, or you can take turns playing your parts. Both ways have advantages, disadvantages, and challenges. For me, since the band revolves around my songwriting, I start with a click track, then play my guitar and sing simultaneously while recording "scratch" tracks. That simply means I'm going to re-record those parts. Then, I go back and play my guitar parts until I get them right. Next, I begin to bring in the players, usually the drummer and/or bass player, followed by percussion, then lead instruments (guitar, sax, etc.), and finally re-record my vocals ("final" vocals) followed by backup vocals. Each player is recorded one at a time.
There are reasons why I do things like that, and as you experiment you'll find your own way to do it.
The biggest challenge is overcoming perfectionism. You simply need to record yourself. It's hard to listen to yourself at first, because what you hear in your own head is different than what your audience hears. We think we sound as good as or better than what we hear on the radio, but much of what we hear on the radio is produced in top-notch studios by players and engineers with a lot of experience, plus they've spent a LOT of money.
Finally, it's really exciting when we get the chance to record, and a lot of times, I have a hard time sleeping and getting the rest I need before a session. For scratch vocals and guitar parts, I can get away with it, but when it's time for the final vocals, I need to be in the best possible condition and frame of mind.
On my most recent project, I was not in optimal condition because of the health challenges I've had over the past year, but I haven't told anyone that I feel that way. In fact, it's not that I'm not in optimal condition as much as my voice is different, after having my vocal cords bruised when I died and was subsequently revived. I've made no excuses, and still I'm proud of my work because it's the best I could do. Most of my fans say that my voice sounds better than ever. I simply know it's a bit different. The point is: it's not my job to be critical of my work. I have things to say that I believe people need (and want) to hear. It's my job to express those thoughts as clearly as I can. Some people will like it, some people won't. If I don't record those thoughts, they won't have the chance to consider what I have to say. Once they do hear what I have to say, they can accept it or reject it, and I try to make sure that they must do one or the other.
So, I encourage you to record as much as you can. Hear yourself as others hear you. Share your music with the world.
Talk soon . . .
Brother Dan
http://www.brotherdanpalmer.com/
http://www.donatelife.net/
No comments:
Post a Comment